- “You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. For people will love only themselves and their money.” 2 Tim 3 :1,2 (see also: 1 Timothy 6:10, James 5:1-6, Rev. 18:3, 9-20)
- I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NLT)
The Bible tells us that there will be a lot of difficult times in the period before Jesus comes, esp. in areas of economic injustice. This page has a list of some of the crises that have come to some extent already or will come more in the future. See also my page on the dire consequences that God said come from greed and how science is confirming that here and here). If it has not affected you yet, it almost certainly will cause harm to you or your family, friends or descendants according to Bible principles, history and science.
Chris Hedges, a NY Times war journalist for decades, but now a pastor, points out that a Greek sage Thucydides said that those who exploit outsiders will in time also exploit their own people a lot. He exposes some of the injustice happening in America in this crucial 15 minute interview “What Greed has Done: Chris Hedges”. and how in time it’s going to harm a lot more people in the middle class if we don’t make many important changes now.
I can’t recommend strongly enough watching this link above. It is very powerful and insightful. The full interview is here:
As we know, the Bible predicts many crises in the period before Jesus comes, but also that those who love God can rescue many for God’s kingdom at this time and will either be protected from the worst crises or enabled to suffer for God. Jesus said we can still have peace though. This is because He can give us eternal life and also because He has solutions for us that can help us avoid many of the worst crises as the Israelites avoided the plagues. Some of those are on this page as well.
Many scientists such as Dr. Homer Dixon warn about many crises including economic injustice, increasing population, disease, environmental pollution and energy crises that are converging, that have in history caused many disasters, loss of life, and societal collapse and are already doing major damage now. A few examples of this are below. But the early church had many serious crises and every generation has had some major problems or crises of some time. They were able to overcome them by following God’s principles and so can we in meeting the most serious crises of earth’s history. Ellen White promises this to use and explains how we can have the same power the early church did.
“The standard of the golden rule is the true standard of Christianity; anything short of it is a deception…Of the apostolic church, in those bright days when the glory of the risen Christ shone upon them, it is written that no man said “that any of the things which he possessed was his own.” ”There were no needy people among them.” “The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all.” “They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity-all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.” Acts 4:32, 34, 33; 2:46, 47 (KJV originally, updated to NLT)… Search heaven and earth, and there is no truth revealed more powerful than that which is made manifest in works of mercy to those who need our sympathy and aid. This is the truth as it is in Jesus. When those who profess the name of Christ shall practice the principles of the golden rule, the same power will attend the gospel as in apostolic times.”Ellen White, Mount of Blessing, p. 136-7 https://m.egwwritings.org/es/book/150.681
In the context of the quote above, she specifically cites Acts 4:32, 34, 33; 2:46, 47 and an interesting order.
- First, she says that the early church emphasized Bible economics and everyone treating their possessions unselfishly. Despite being so small, they were able to eliminate poverty in the church and do enormous good in the society around them. In other quotes, the Bible and Ellen White say that after the needs of our family are met, we should do all we can to share with others (1 John 3:17). The Bible, Jewish history and EGW also say that the most effective churches teach truths to help people be independent (esp. Bible economics), provide work for many, are generous in times of emergency, etc. God emphasizes treating the needs of all as equal in many other places in the Bible and EGW. She says she is straining every power to do this herself.
- Second, they testified of the resurrection as a proven fact and experienced God’s grace.
- Third, they had a healthy spiritual community, eating together happily
- Fourth, they praised God (which helps because Stephen Achor, Harvard professor says happiness increases brain efficiency ~20-30%).
There are many crises in the world, just some listed below. It is always best to follow God’s principles. But at times of crises, this is more imperative than at any other time and it is also the greatest opportunity when people of God can by following God’s principles be of the best help to people who are suffering and open their minds and hearts to a God who they can see cares about their needs and suffering on earth and so they can gain trust in Him to be right about their eternal lives too. Crises are one of the greatest opportunities for churches to advance God’s work…and the biggest ones in history are coming. But we’ve got to prepare for these more than ever before. Very little except eternal life is more important than this (and it will affect a significant number of lives for eternity as well).
- Research from many sources such as the Christian aid agency Oxfam, the U.K.-based House of Commons Library, the Guardian, Thomas Piketty report that the top 1% control more than 50% of the world’s wealth now, more than everyone else combined. That is far worse than the economic injustice/cruelty in the time of Rome where the top 1% controlled between 20-25% of the wealth of the world. And it’s going to get a lot worse soon. By 2030, it will be 2/3rds***. The World Inequality Lab, a research project in over 70 countries based at the Paris School of Economics, and co-authored by the French economist Thomas Piketty. “The global middle class has been squeezed,” it said. “Inequality around the world has reached an irreversible tipping point.”These numbers just can’t convey the abuse and suffering this is causing, the broken families, the dashed dreams, the people forced into slavery, workers forced to live and live in poisonous environments, people and even children forced to choose between eating and prostitution*** and so much more.To understand a little of what this is causing in America now (and even worse in some other countries), I can’t recommend strongly enough watching this short interview with Chris Hedges “What Greed has Done: Chris Hedges”
https://billmoyers.com/segment/chris-hedges-on-capitalism’s-sacrifice-zones/Capitalism’s ‘Sacrifice Zones’ Moyers & Company, July 20, 2012
- MASSIVE CENTRAL ECONOMIC CONTROL: Economic researchers found that ~737 stock holders significant/majority control over ~43,060+ transnational corporations. Certain experts at Forbes think that there are, “Four Companies That Control the 147 Companies That Own Everything.” This is astronomical concentration of power, never before seen in history. At the worst periods of inequality in Rome, the top 1.5% controlled 15-25% of income. But now, the top 1% now control over 40% of wealth in America and worldwide they control over 50% of wealth and soon will control ~2/3rds of world wealth (see references here: blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/equality/).
- FREQUENT FINANCIAL CRASHES: “The financial historian Charles Kindleberger, having studied four centuries of banking events, concluded that financial crises occur on average about every 10 years.” https://www.ft.com/content/5148cd1e-cf01-11e4-893d-00144feab7de Nobel Prize winner Milton Friedman has said the causes of financial crashes are well known and avoidable. But certain people with power want them to happen. This is because they can buy up assets of many kinds for pennies on the dollar at these times from people in desperation. The 2008 crisis for example forced up to 10 million Americans to have to sell their homes and have to pay ~30-70% of their salary in rent.Many say one of the worst crashes in history is coming in the next few years because we have ~10 gigantic bubbles compared to just one in 2008: global debt (especially government debt), the even larger bubble of government promises, the bond market, fiat currency, the debt bubble, the credit bubble, and the derivative bubble and some others like the stock bubble, the real estate bubble, the student debt bubble, etc.George Soros, Jim Rogers, Mike Maloney, Fred Harrison, Stanley Druckenmiller, Carl Icahn and the Bank of International Settlements William White, Nomi Prins, Gerald Celente, Australian economist John Adams, professor Charles Goodhart (former Bank of England interest-rate setter), and many others have warned about an imminent financial crash far bigger than 2008 and within the next 1-7 years far bigger than the 1929 crash. Jim Rogers said “A $68 trillion “Biblical collapse is poised to wipe out millions of Americans”
https://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2016/05/24/first-soros-now-jim-rogers-predicts-trillion-dollar-biblical-crash.htmlProfessor Charles Goodhart (former Bank of England interest-rate setter), says that “based on the current pattern he thinks the next storm will hit in 2025 or 2026 as a 17-year cycle repeats itself — driven, as he puts it, by “bog standard bad retail banking, commercial property and massive credit expansion”. https://www.standard.co.uk/business/markets/when-will-the-next-crisis-be-2025-if-we-re-lucky-9095682.htmlThe Martin Weiss Investment firm says that a perfect economic storm is about to hit.
~22:00 Talks about its 5 phases. Says that in the last one, govts. bailed out banks and corporations…but now they are bankrupt too and there are no tools for them to stop the next one.
The next recession could put the 2008 financial crash to shame if two experts’ predictions about the worldwide debt of $247trillion are correct…’We won’t be able to call it a recession, it’s going to be worse than the Great Depression,’ economic commentator Peter Schiff, told the New York Post. ‘The US economy is in so much worse shape than it was a decade ago.’…’People will look to central banks to help them out, but the authorities will be found wanting,’ Gunn continued. ‘Our prediction is that central banks will go from being feted for ‘saving the world’ in 2008 to being vilified for being impotent in the coming deflationary crash.’
Nomi Prins, former Goldman Sachs banker (she left because of its immorality), says:
Central bankers…have no exit plan for their decade of collusion. But a weak hope that it’ll all work out. They have no dedicated agenda to remove themselves from their money supplier role, nor any desire to do so. Truth be told, they couldn’t map out an exit route from cheap money even if they wanted to.”
We are coming to a period I call the Great Reset. As it hits, we will have to deal, one way or another, with the largest twin bubbles in the history of the world: global debt, especially government debt, and the even larger bubble of government promises. We are talking about debt and unfunded promises to the tune of multiple hundreds of trillions of dollars – vastly larger than global GDP…All that debt cannot be repaid under current arrangements, nor can those promises ultimately be kept. There is simply not enough money and not enough growth, and these bubbles are continuing to grow. At some point, we’re going to have to deal with these issues and restructure everything….In my opinion, the entire world is entering what I call the Great Reset, a period of enormous and unpredictable volatility in all asset classes. I believe that diversifying among asset classes will simply diversify your losses during the next global recession.
***Richest 1% on target to own two-thirds of all wealth by 2030 “World leaders urged to act as anger over inequality reaches a ‘tipping point’” https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/07/global-inequality-tipping-point-2030 https://www.businessinsider.com/worlds-richest-people-are-getting-even-richer-two-thirds-of-global-wealth-by-2030-2018-4
In the 2008 crisis, there was largely 1 bubble…a housing bubble (and banks selling bad mortgages, leveraging debt, etc.) that caused the economic crash. But in the next few years we have several gigantic bubbles about to crash: the bond market, fiat currency, the debt bubble, the credit bubble, and the derivative bubble and some others like the stock bubble, the real estate bubble, the student debt bubble, etc.
These 4 guys predicted the last crisis and warn that conditions are much worse now in many areas…but are not sure exactly when it will crash.
More than nine million Americans lost their homes and trillions of investors’ dollars…Mauldin estimates the world has almost “half a quadrillion dollars,” or $500 trillion, in debt and unfunded pension and other liabilities, which he views as unsustainable.” https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-4-called-the-last-financial-crisis-heres-what-they-see-causing-the-next-one-2018-09-13
“Deflationary tides are lapping the shores of countries across the world and financial bubbles are set to burst everywhere, a lecturer at Yale University, told CNBC on Thursday. “I see bubbles bursting everywhere” March 3, 2016.
30 Charts Proving We’re In The Mother of All Financial Bubbles
Reason #7(~6:30): Gold & Silver Come With a Central Bank Guarantee
- High concentrations of wealth always erode freedom and democracy in government and society. It for example causes corruption to be legal at high levels of government (https://act.represent.us/sign/the-problem/). Research from Princeton by Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page (“Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens”) shows that since the 1980s, the votes of average Americans have had almost no effect on public policy, meaning America has been a plutocracy. Media tells people they are free. But when their voices don’t change policy, most families are $100,000+ in debt, 90% of the information heard comes from 5-6 corporations, what kind of freedom is that? (blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/howfree/).
- Two of the most insightful and most highly ranked documentaries in the world now are, “The Economics of Happiness” and “Ancient Futures”. They confirm the numerous Bible and Ellen White statements about the importance of land and growing gardens to independence and peace. They point out that when people are forced off land and into cities and can’t grow their own food, they become dependent on others for jobs and livelihoods. In time, it creates conditions that often lead to conflict and sometimes violence. Two excerpts are:“Development in Ladakh…it’s the same everywhere in the world. It’s a process of planned change. And what it’s done is to systematically dismantle the local economy, local self-reliance. And the first victim is the small farmer whose entire livelihood is completely undermined.” Helen Norberg-Hodge“In Ladakh, Buddhists and Muslims had lived side by side for 500 years without any conflict. But with the advent of the new economy, unemployment increased exponentially and so did competition for the narrow range of new commodities like kerosene and coal, cement and plastic. The end result was friction, conflict and ultimately violence. After only about a decade, Buddhists and Muslims were literally killing each other.” Helen Norberg-HodgeInforming people of the biblical value of land, Bible economics, such as the gardening principles, are a major solution.
- The World Economic Forum and other research reports that ~800,000,000 jobs will be lost to robots and AI in the next ~10 years.
“According to the McKinsey Global Institute, robots could replace 800 million jobs by 2030.”
Kola Masha has an MBA from Harvard and says that in Nigeria, when 20 million people entered the job market and there weren’t enough jobs, it caused 3 separate insurgencies/terrorist movements. He asks what is going to happen in the next 20 years, 80 million will be looking for jobs in Nigeria. His solution is to teach people the best techniques of farming and he has found that even with normal farming methods, he can increase the incomes of young men/women by 3-5 times compared to what they can make in cities.  Multiply that number by 800 million jobs that will be lost worldwide. We have a massive problem coming to our world. There are several solutions being proposed. Most just make people more dependent on the government, the wealthy, the church or others. One of the few solutions that promotes independence is localizing, gardening/farming according to God’s methods. And God’s methods are far more effective than any normal methods.
- Malachi Martin, a former Jesuit and professor at the Vatican’s Pontifical Biblical Institute, described a gigantic contest for control and implementation of the first truly global 1 world government. In his book, he predicted that everyone would live in this system by 2030. There is a lot of buzz about 2030 by many organizations and leaders (including the United Nations). They aren’t inspired, but their aim is global control and claim there will be massive changes to the world and that is what prophecy predicts. In 1990, Martin wrote:
“Willing or not, ready or not, we are all involved in an all-out, no holds-barred, three-way global competition…We are the stakes. For the competition is about who will establish the first one-world system of government that has ever existed in the society of nations… No sector of our lives will remain untouched…As to the time factor involved, those of us who are under seventy will see at least the basic structures of the new world government installed. Those of us under forty will surely live under its legislative, executive and judiciary authority and control.” https://www.amazon.com/Keys-This-Blood-Versus-Control/dp/06717472314)
- Catholic influence on the US government has risen significantly. “In total, there are 163 Catholics sitting in either the Senate or House of Representatives, New Congress is more than one-third Catholic.” In addition, 6 out of 9 Supreme Court judges are Catholic (and Trump plans to nominate a 7th if given the chance).
- Catholic Archbishop James Quigley said in the Chicago Daily Tribune in May 5, 1903, “When the United States rules the world, the Catholic Church will rule the world… Nothing can stand against the Church. I’d like to see the politician who would try to rule against the Church in Chicago. His reign would be short indeed.”
- Former CIA agent, Kevin Shipp, has given many talks about how the CIA sends it agents into many other levels of government to operate just below the level of elected officials and influence/control policy decisions on a daily basis. He explains how both the deep state and shadow government work as he saw.
- Catholics permeate the CIA (and other intelligence agencies). The Catholic Herald reports that “the CIA…has earned itself nicknames like ‘Catholic Intelligence Agency’ and ‘Catholics In Action’…Some of the most influential directors in CIA history have been Catholic…They were not just casual Catholics. They were devout Mass-goers – in many cases, members of groups like the Knights of Malta.”
- In 2000, America’s military set a goal to dominate the world by 2020. Joint Vision 2020 says, “full spectrum dominance implies that U.S. forces are able to conduct…operations…in all domains— land, sea, air, space, and information….given the global nature of our interests and obligations, the United States must maintain its…ability to rapidly project power worldwide in order to achieve full spectrum dominance.” War Correspondents Chris Hedges and Allan Nairn have covered dozens of wars abroad, and report that based on military reports, the US army has control or influence over 75% of the globe if not more. America has ~5,000 military bases, including ~1000-1400 bases overseas*. The rest of the world combined has ~30 overseas military bases.
- PBS, TED and others have interviewed Edward Snowden and other whistleblowers who worked for the CIA, NSA and certain other govt. agencies. These whistleblowers have testified that they know that all electronic information being sent by US citizens as well as much other information is being monitored. Journalist and pastor Chris Hedges says this is a level of monitoring citizens that the KGB and German Stasi secret police that he reported as a journalist for the New York Times on could only dream of. Snowden and others say that US law is being violated thousands of times by these agencies and this is a dramatic loss of freedom. Nick Bostrom is a professor of philosophy at the University of Oxford and an expert on AI. He says, “AI is a bigger threat to human existence than climate change…The biggest ways AI is likely to have a negative impact is in information-systems roles, such as selecting news stories that confirm people’s prejudices or acting as surveillance systems.”
- Many insightful academics, scholars, historians, military leaders, political leaders, reporters, conservatives, liberals, atheists, Christians/pastors, in America and in other countries have called America an empire, Rome or the New Rome, a beast power, that rules the world. It controls the world in many ways now. Just one example is Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell in the George W. Bush administration and currently a professor teaching US national security. In a talk, he says that in a video that The U.S. has “become, in essence, the new Rome.” Vast evidence from numerous sources indicates this is true.
We are living in challenging times. Prophecy is being fulfilled. But God has answers and will keep His people safe and bring many who are lost to belief in Him and to our church. But how fast that happens, depends on how quickly we move to understand and follow better more of God’s truths, esp. in Bible economics. I hope the things I have shared help you understand how urgent it is that we take quick action to improve in the ways God has instructed us. Man’s ideas won’t work. Only God’s ideas will be effective at this time, and that is especially true of Bible economics. Again,
Human devices, human plans, and human counsels will be without power…Privileges and duties which they do not even suspect to be in the Bible will be laid open before the followers of Christ.” Letter 5, 1889
The Bible, science and history indicate that there are some basic roots to all problems we face and these help illuminate a more efficient way to defeat Satan’s plans. There are many secondary causes, to be sure and we should continue some efforts there. But if we don’t focus heavily on the root issues, we will be kind of playing whack-a-mole or pulling up the top of a weed but not dealing with the root, since once one deception is discovered, the root deceptions will cause others to pop up in all sorts of other ways. The concepts God has given us through the Bible and Ellen White, some that I learned about from Asian Christians/SDAs, and some from research, can benefit many/all members in SDA churches, our SDA members in other countries, as well as students/missionaries that are being sent from the USA to other countries in the world and help in attracting people to the truth.
- CONFIDENCE IN SALVATION: The Bible says that righteousness/godliness bring many benefits such as freedom, stable/great nations in this life, eternal life (1 Tim. 4:8, Ps. 119:45, James 1:25, Prov. 14:34,) and says sin is slavery (Romans 6:16). A Chinese dissident, Yuan Zhiming, made China’s Confession 神州忏悔录 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5cBIZscSA), a documentary covering 5,000 years. It shows that when the Chinese followed principles of God given to them in ancient times that parallel the Bible, their nation had peace, freedom and progress, but when it didn’t, greed, pride, crime, war and chaos became common. This parallels Israel’s cycle of godliness, corruption, captivity, repentance. The reason is fairly simple. If people think this life is the only one they have, it’s impossible to get large numbers of people to live altruistically. But as Harvard biologist E. O. Wilson pointed out individuals can sometimes win by being selfish. But at the group level “A group of altruists will beat a society of selfish individuals every time.” So it’s crucial to teach confidence in eternal life, and especially that we teach Jesus’ resurrection as one of the most proven facts of history as many scholars have concluded.
- TEACH PEOPLE TO DISTINGUISH TRUTH VS. DECEPTIONS: Jesus said truth sets us free (John 8:32), people are destroyed for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6) and when we ignore God’s truths, enemies will harass us (Hosea 8:2-4). Many Bible verses teach that truth brings every good thing in life. Jesus indicates that truth brings unity (John17:17, 21). Ellen White concurs saying, “truth is God’s basis for the unity of his people.” (GW92 391) Oxford professor Felipe Fernando-Armesto explains that lack of truth enables people to be exploited by lies. “Once truth has been devoured, people swallow falsehoods whole. Without confidence in the concept of truth, listeners are disarmed against lies.” It’s crucial to teach SDA members fair ways to find truth.Although most people use some principles of truth in day to day life and don’t realize it, many people often ignore/neglect them when talking about denominations/worldviews. This problem is not a new one. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. long ago said:
“To think incisively and to think for one’s self is very difficult. We are prone to let our mental life become invaded by legions of half-truths, prejudices, and propaganda…A great majority of the so-called educated people do not think logically and scientifically.” Julian Dodd at the University of Manchester says the “favored candidates” in the area of theories of truth are: “correspondence truth, coherence truth and pragmatic truth.” Dr. Jonathan Dolhenty, a Christian philosopher, concurs, saying that these 3 truths “seem to be only three tests of ‘truth’.”If they are correct, then God would have taught these methods in the Bible. It’s no surprise that He did, demonstrating/instructing the use of these 3 methods of truth repeatedly in the Bible. Just a few examples of this are:
1) He taught people to make choices based on pragmatic truth and the golden rule. “Test everything that is said…always do good to each person and all people.” 1 Thess. 5:21, 15. This involves finding what is good for every individual and all people in the world when making choices. That is what Dr. Wilson said makes nations thrive best.2) To figure out what is best for all people, we have to use correspondence truth. This is evidence from experiences/experiments. God and Bible leaders repeatedly appealed to witnesses. “Moses…said: ‘Your eyes have seen all that the LORD did in Egypt…you saw those great…signs and great wonders’” Deuteronomy 29:2-3. Apostles said, “We saw him[Jesus] with our own eyes & touched him with our own hands.” 1 John 1:1. God pioneered the scientific method in the controversy with Satan. Scientists say Daniel was the first to use the scientific method with a control group in Daniel 1.
3) We should also check if a concept is valuable over time. Coherence truth involves concepts fitting all available evidence and being repeatedly verified over time. “Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.” Proverbs 12:19. “Jesus [explained] from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” Luke 24:25-27
All fallacies and deceptions ignore these 3 methods and the golden rule in some way. They usually deny evidence, distort evidence, divert attention from evidence, demean evidence, use double standards or something like that. Whenever conclusions are not based on the full weight of evidence, people are in danger of committing the same dangerous mistake the Jews did in cherry picking certain verses about the role of the Messiah conquering enemies and ignoring ones that talked about a Messiah being killed and sacrificing His life for sin.
These are probably the 2 easiest ways to figure out truth objectively and quickly using the 3 methods of truth above.
1) With God’s help I have been able to convince quite a few people to become Christians in a fairly simple way. I tell explain that the fastest way to find truth so that we can experience the most benefits in this life and for eternity is to find what worldview has brought the most benefits to the world in history and which has the best evidence for eternal life. Then follow that. I then share a lot of scientific evidence about why the Bible and SDA views are best in those areas. One example is an award winning engineer, formerly atheist, became a Christian and joined the SDA church. He said the below (but I told him it’s based on an adaptation of 1 Tim. 4:8, so it’s God’s genius that I borrowed J.)
“surprisingly in all of my studies of Collins, Keller, Lewis, etc. the best most succinct summary of information comes from one of my facebook friends: Bryan Bissell. Bryan is a genius in terms of boiling down historical proof and probabilities. He was able on his website to put into words what continued to escape me.” Bill G
2) “Test everything that is said.” 1 Thess. 5:21 by anyone, religious or secular, conservative or liberal or whatever, and our own understanding. Then, “Always do good to each person and all people.” 1 Thess 5:15. Follow the principle that does the most good for individuals, communities and the world.
A) Compare what any Christian, pastor, scientist, atheist, Buddhist or whatever claims with what God says in the Bible (or through prophets in the Bible or after the Bible since God says prophets are a gift of God to the church). It is also crucial to test your thinking of what the Bible says. Many words have changed meaning and what modern people think they mean is very different from what the Bible author meant (esp. word like faith, love, perfection, slavery and others). Language changes and cultures now differ greatly from Bible times. There are also errors of ignorance. Corruption/greed/pride exists in all groups. Smart and godly people also have many conflicting views, etc. So you need to test everything. A good way to test if people’s understanding of God is correct and accurate is by looking at academic research (esp. systematic reviews). The Bible repeatedly says that God’s desire and all His laws are meant for the best good of people and nations long term (Jer. 29:11, Deut. 4:1-8). Sometimes individuals do have to sacrifice for the long term better good of many people as Jesus did. But if the majority of scientific research shows that an idea is not helping people’s lives on earth become better in various ways, then that idea is probably not God’s truth, since the whole point of godliness is to bring benefits to people’s lives on earth as well as for eternity (1 Tim. 4:8). Jesus said that God’s laws will stay in effect as long as they are fulfilling their purpose (Matt. 5:17-19). And all over the Bible we see that that purpose is to bring the highest quantity and quality of life to the most people long term…in eternity and on earth.
B) But we must also test academic research by what God has revealed because scientists such as Harvard mathemetician Samuel Arbesman have found that up to 50% of “facts” are found to be partly/wholly wrong within 50 years (see his book “The Half-Life of Facts”). This can be due to ignorance and mistakes. It can be due to greed and pride. It can be due to fallacies and bribes of business. Pay special attention to the a priori fallacy of methodological naturalism which insists that no academic evidence can point to God and is the foundation for many materialistic deceptions (this fulfills 2 Peter 3:5-6).
When carefully checked understanding of God’s word and the majority of academic evidence align with a claim/doctrine/worldview, etc. that is about the most sure we can be that the view is true and the wisest to follow(only a direct revelation is better). If there is still any conflict, trust what we understand God’s word to say since God has more evidence than all other sources combined and He is the only one who has the power of eternal life and He winks at ignorance (Acts 17:30). But keep checking it since even long held traditions have been wrong as history shows and EGW advises us to keep checking even old traditions. Always follow what is best for each person and all people as well as you know how. That’s the way of truth and the golden rule.
- BIBLE HEALTH PRINCIPLES: SDAs emphasized NEWSTART which numerous studies indicate could eliminate up to 80% of the ~41,000,000 deaths a year due to bad health habits. Scientists have paid tribute to us for improving the health of the world*. But SDAs members need to understand better health habits affect at least a dozen other issues in life. Bad health costs the world ~$6.5 trillion a year, is the #1 cause of bankruptcy, harms the environment and more. Good health habits double people’s money by their 50s, improve brain function dramatically, solve many environmental problems. Overall, good health habits solve at least a dozen major problems for our world.
- BIBLE ECONOMICS: Poverty is a factor in ~18,000,000 deaths a year. Many researchers such as the Christian relief agency Oxfam report that the 1% richest own more wealth than the 99% combined. Just the 100 richest could solve poverty worldwide 7 times. This is “a symptom of a failing economic system” according to the Christian aid agency Oxfam’s Winnie Byanyima. As God said greed (and its twin, pride) is the root of all evil (1 Tim. 6:10).I studied intensively how South Korea grew from the poorest nation in the world to being #1 in dozens of areas and top 15 GDP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_rankings_of_South_Korea). It happened most of all because of godliness, churches working to help families have their own land and farms, work for justice, and also involved education, health habits, diligence, social ethics/volunteering, environmental care, etc. Their experience has many lessons for Christians around the world and I would like to share them to help us all be stronger.SDAs teach a few principles of Bible economics, but there are ~30+. Research shows they are extremely powerful solutions and can save/earn our church billions of dollars per year if many follow them. Unless God gives us tons of gold by miracle, Bible economics seems to be the only way to fund and finish the work of the Great Commission.1) OWNING HOMES: We need to teach churches the crucial importance of helping families own their own homes since this is one of the most crucial foundations for peace, stability and progress according to God (Lev. 25:18, 1 Kings 4:25, WM p. 195, MB p. 136-7). Economists say that without home ownership, families lose ~30-70% of their salary in rent, ~10-15% in buying food, go into debt, have to pay interest and experience up to 20 harmful ripple effects. Ellen White said that “In God’s plan for Israel every family had a home on the land, with sufficient ground for tilling…no devising of men has ever improved upon that plan. To the world’s departure from it is owing, to a large degree, the poverty and wretchedness that exist today.” (WM, p. 195) She acted on this too, “I am straining every power I possess to help different families to obtain a spot of land, where they can support themselves and obey the truth.” (Lt 72, 1898). She said this was crucial for mission work, “There are multitudes of poor families for whom no better missionary work could be done than to assist them in settling on the land and in learning how to make it yield them a livelihood.” (MH 192.2). Ideas below and many others can help people own their own homes.2) CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Being an active member of church is a very valuable solution to economic problems. The agnostic scientist Dr. Cnaan has shown that for every $1 contributed to churches, the community receives ~$4.77 in benefits (http://www.haloproject.ca/phase-1-toronto) and sometimes up to $10 (depending on how biblical the church is). Another study found that when all the volunteer work, crime reduction and other effects of churches are considered, the average church generates ~$2 million every year.
3) MARRIAGE: Staying married can help people save up to $500,000 over their lifetimes and researchers say the simplest way to stay married is to say yes to your spouse’s requests ~87% of the time (fulfilling Eph. 5).*
4) LOCALIZING: The Bible has many verses telling us to do good first to God’s people (Gal. 6:10), God’s people in need near us (Rom 12:13) and in foreign countries (Rom. 15:26), anyone who is poor and has a good character (Deut. 15:11, Prov. 3:27), to love our enemies and more. Research is showing that if every family just bought $10 more from local believers/community members, it would return $9.3 billion to local economies and help solve many problems. Math based on this shows that if SDA families just spent ~$100 more very month on other church members, it would bring ~$340 million for local believers/community and $34 million in tithe. Michael Shuman (an economist, attorney, author, and entrepreneur) says, “The best way of reducing poverty and increasing equality is going local.”
5) GOD, BRAIN FUNCTION & GENIUS GRADES: I have written materials and developed presentations that teach people ~20 Bible habits that dramatically improve brain function and can help increase grades by ~20-50% on average according to science. Some are very simple. Research says “…a college grad will earn nearly…$25,000 for every C or D, and about $42,000 for every A or B.” So Bible habits for brain health can be exceedingly valuable!
6) RECYCLE/COMPOST: Many scientific studies are showing that recycling, composting kitchen and house waste is a very simple, but valuable way to reduce harm and costs to communities. See: https://ilsr.org/compost-impacts-2/
7) GARDENING: What is an idea that can save/earn at least a few $1000 dollars a year for families, reduce pollution, reduce gas/oil consumption, reduce plastic use, dramatically improve family nutrition, significantly improve grades, provide jobs for jobless people and as a result reduce crime, terrorism and war in some cases, be a way to sort of print money legally, reduce/prevent suicides, improve spirituality/increase baptisms, assist missions, improve justice/assist refugees, and more and do it all quite simply? And what Nobel prize winning genius invented this incredible idea? The answer is simple. It’s gardening. And it was no man, but God who invented this idea, created people to live in gardens in Eden. Even after sin, the Bible says, “During the lifetime of Solomon, all of Judah and Israel lived in peace and safety…each family had its own home and garden.” 1 Kings 4:25 Ellen White says it’s important for our time, “The more nearly we come into harmony with God’s original plan, the more favorable will be our position to secure health of body and mind and soul.” Adventist Home p. 135 Geoff Lawton, a permaculture expert who has converted deserts into lush productive farms says, “All the world’s problems can be solved in a garden.” ( https://permaculturenews.org/2008/08/30/geoff-lawton-all-the-worlds-problems-can-be-solved-in-a-garden/).
Roger Doiron talks about a massive food crisis our world faces and says we have to grow more food in 50 years than all human history combined. His solution is for people to start gardening. He unknowingly confirms a lot of Ellen White’s instructions about the importance of gardening for most people and shows how gardening is quite a subversive action that can actually help save the world. Activists for justice and peace have said that gardening is one of the most revolutionary things a person can do and is sort of like printing money for free. Kola Masha (mentioned later) said in a TED talk that gardening can reduce terrorism. But while they follow secular methods of growing and benefit, God gave far better methods of gardening in the Bible and esp. through Ellen White. Trees grown the way God told Ellen White to do it have ~20 times more volume while tomato plants that usually produce ~6 pounds, can produce 80 or even 100 pounds in a year. It is also healthier since commercial food has lost much or most of its nutritional value. It tastes better too. Some people/churches are making $10-100,000 dollars a year from gardens or donating it to the poor/hungry. Growing gardens can bring major improvements in life.
The world is getting wise to the benefits of gardens. “More than 40 percent of the ingredients used to prepare the 15,000 meals served at Yale every day are locally grown, organic, or both,” their site explains. A lot of that comes straight from the Yale Farm, which was created as a part of their sustainable food program.
Until the 1900s, lawns were a luxury. Now the lawncare industry makes ~$77 billion in profits a year. Since their margins are 10-20%, that means Americans spend probably $300+ billion or more on grass and a few other things. GRASS! They also spend ~39 million hours. All this is spent mostly on ornamental plants to look good. What if it were spent on growing useful foods? Did you know it’s possible to grow a garden and spend less money and time on it than managing a lawn?
Another reason gardens are very important is freedom. Fannie Lou Hamer was a civil rights activist in the 1960s who argued that southerners could only be really independent if they had their own land and grew their own food. She explained that this is quite significant in enabling people to speak against problems in society more forcefully,
“When you’ve got 400 quarts of greens and gumbo soup canned for the winter, nobody can push you around or tell you what to say or do.“
To summarize, agriculture/gardening enables self-reliance, empowers justice, enables generosity (1 SDA farmer is feeding 600 families from his farm), improve finances and many organizations and individuals are earning $1000s or even millions of dollars per year from it and then helping others to become independent and free of injustice as well.
8) ROOFTOP GARDENS: While in China, I found that many people love growing gardens. Many grow them in apartments, on walls, on rooftops and in many other places. They are also building the first forest city in human history. Some Americans are catching on to how valuable this is as well. The Javitz Convention Center in New York is saving ~$3,000,000 per year in reduced heating and air conditioning costs, helped relieve stress on the city’s water purification system, reducing pollution, providing a better environment for insects and birds, reducing some disease agents, reducing waste water, reducing the heat island effect in the city, improving air quality, grew a large amount of food, and all largely by having gardens on the rooftop of the convention center.
“According to the National Research Council of Canada, a green roof can reduce air conditioning demand in the summer by as much as 75%…There are also numerous additional benefits, according to research from Michigan State University, including that living or green roofs improve storm water management by reducing runoff, reduce noise pollution, increase urban biodiversity by providing habitat for wildlife, provide space for urban agriculture, provide a more aesthetically pleasing and healthy environment to work and live and improve return on investment compared with traditional roofs…Another important financial benefit is the reduction in home maintenance costs.”
The EPA says, “Green roof temperatures can be 30–40°F lower than those of conventional roofs and can reduce city-wide ambient temperatures by up to 5°F.” (https://www.epa.gov/heat-islands/using-green-roofs-reduce-heat-islands). What if many SDA churches and schools were doing this? How much could we save? Ellen White gave us a very wise solution when she said to grow gardens. We just need to use it a lot more.
9) OPPOSE WAR: War is one of the most devastatingly expensive activities on the planet. America’s founders like Madison warned that it’s impossible to preserve freedom with endless wars. Research by many academics shows that pacifism is usually a far more effective way to have peace and freedom long term than war and it is up to 60 times cheaper as well.
10) ***SHARING/VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY: Samaritan Center, tool sharing, etc. ***
Since we have many crises bearing down on us, if SDA members and organizations follow God’s ideas in health, gardening, economics and other areas, can benefit ourselves and be a crucial solution to major world crises. This will help attract many thoughtful people to belief in God.
- Pollution is a factor in ~12,000,000 deaths. Many of these deaths are in the 3rd world but are due to meat eating, buying products imported from countries with low standards and toxic working conditions (sometimes 1000s of times above safe levels), war in/by the 1st world, etc. Kamal Meattle shows that just growing 3 plants, Areca palm, Mother-in-Law’s Tongue and money plant can reduce effects of pollution significantly. They reduce eye irritation by 52 percent, respiratory systems by 34 percent, headaches by 24 percent, and more. And at least 50 plants produce oxygen, eat pollution and help in similar ways according to a NASA study. Gardening, avoiding luxury/plastic/imported goods, recycling, buying local and other good habits stop much pollution and destruction.
It’s interesting that verses about the Sabbath refers directly to or are located near most of Bible verses that talk about the most valuable solutions to our problems as confirmed by science. That explains why Satan has tried to attack it so vigorously.
I hope that my proposal on Bible economics or for other positions will be seriously considered. They can be enormously beneficial to our church. I don’t have NAD certification yet due to being overseas for so long and being paid so little for pastoring and mission work (~6 years with no pay as a volunteer pastor and ~$300 a month as a missionary). But if I can get a little money soon or be sponsored, I am sure I can get the certification very quickly. I hope to hear from you soon.
In the Service of the Master Solver of World Problems,
 Fottrell, Quentin. “The richest 1% are on track to control two-thirds of the world’s wealth by 2030.” Apr. 22, 2018 https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-richest-1-people-in-the-world-are-on-track-to-control-two-thirds-of-wealth-by-2030-2018-04-10
 Vitali, Stefania, et al. “The Network of Global Corporate Control.” PLOS Medicine, Public Library of Science, October 26, 2011, journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0025995.
 Coffey, Brendan. “The Four Companies That Control the 147 Companies That Own Everything.” . Forbes Magazine, June 12 , 2012. www.forbes.com/sites/brendancoffey/2011/10/26/the-four-companies-that-control-the-147-companies-that-own-everything/#3fa3ab2c685b.
 “The future of education, according to experts at Davos”. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/top-quotes-from-davos-on-the-future-of-education/; Manyika, James, et al. “What the future of work will mean for jobs, skills, and wages”. November, 2017, https://www.mckinsey.com/global-themes/future-of-organizations-and-work/what-the-future-of-work-will-mean-for-jobs-skills-and-wages,
 Masha, Kola. “How Farming Could Employ Africa’s Young Workforce and Help Build Peace.” August, 2017.
 “New Congress is more than one-third Catholic.” Catholic News Agency, January 4, 2019, https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2019/01/04/new-us-congress-is-nearly-one-third-catholic/.
 Wargas, Robert. “Why Catholics thrive in the CIA.” May 5, 2016, https://catholicherald.co.uk/issues/may-6th-2016/why-catholics-thrive-in-the-cia/.
 “Joint Vision 2020. US Military. Summer, 2000. https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a526044.pdf.
 Hedges, Chris & Nairn, Allan. “On Contact: The American Empire with Allan Nairn.” Jan 28, 2017,
 Snowden, Edward et al. “United States of Secrets.” May 12, 2014, https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-united-states-secrets-part-one/; Snowden, Edward. “Here’s How We Take the Internet Back.” March, 2014, https://www.ted.com/talks/edward_snowden_here_s_how_we_take_back_the_internet.
 Wood, Charlie. “AI is a greater threat to human existence than climate change, says the Oxford professor endorsed by Bill Gates.” Apr. 30, 2019, https://www.businessinsider.com/nick-bostrom-ai-greater-threat-to-human-existence-than-climate-change-2019-4?fbclid=IwAR2IA70_mQb2N-EEybz1qTXhMkTefFyIsvYREtqQfXPdsJ8Ww78HfnT16w0
 “#3: E.O. Wilson’s Theory of Altruism Shakes Up Understanding of Evolution”. Pamela Weintraub. discovermagazine.com/2011/jan-feb/03. Thursday, April 28, 2011.
 “Truth, A history and a Guide for the Perplexed”, Felipe Fernando-Armesto, p. 165.
 King, Martin Luther, Jr. “The Purpose of Education.” 1947, www.drmartinlutherkingjr.com/thepurposeofeducation.htm.
 Dodd, Julian. “Recent Work on Truth.” Dec. 17, 2002, www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/1468-0149.00270.
 “Criteria of Truth.” Wikipedia, Dec. 6, 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criteria_of_truth.
 “Noncommunicable diseases” http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs355/en/. “The Incredible Value of God’s Health Habits.” http://blog.truth-is-life.org/health/health/
 “The World Health Report 2004”, http://www.who.int/whr/2004/annex/topic/en/annex_2_en.pdf; http://www.heartsandminds.org/poverty/hungerfacts.htm.
 Ratcliff, Anna. “Just 8 Men Own Same Wealth as Half the World”. Jan. 16 2018, www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2017-01-16/just-8-men-own-same-wealth-half-world.
 Hagan, Shelly. “Billionaires Made So Much Money Last Year They Could End Extreme Poverty Seven Times”. January 22, 2018, time.com/money/5112462/billionaires-made-so-much-money-last-year-they-could-end-extreme-poverty-seven-times/.
 Bissell, Bryan. “How Bible Economic Principles Helped Korea Rise From the Ashes of War to Top Rankings in the World”, http://blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/thrive/koreas–rise/
 Bissell, Bryan. “Bible Economics-The Only Solution to Poverty & Injustice That Really Works—Long Term.” http://blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/jubilee-economics/. Bissell, Bryan. “Jubilee Solutions–God’s Best Solutions To Greed.” http://blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/jubilee-economics/jubilee-solutions/.
 Bryan Bissell. “Why land rights are the most crucial factor in freedom and the rise and fall of nations”, blog.truth-is-life.org/human-rights/gods-principles-for-thriving-civilizations/land-rights-most-crucial-for-freedom/.
 Bissell, Bryan. “Greed—The Root of All Evil (Literally).” blog.truth-is-life.org/rights/greed/ (see esp. the section “THE RIPPLE EFFECT CONSEQUENCES OF GREED.)
 Cnaan, Ram. “Calculating the Economic Halo Effect of Sacred Places”. www.endowedparishes.org/download_file/view/2154/.
 Salguero, Michael. “Why Buying Local Is Worth Every Cent [Infographic].” Dec 06, 2017, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-buying-local-is-worth_b_4310520.
 Shuman, Michael. “Localising Finance.” Dec 4, 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PozpjriZXg, http://bit.ly/2HfTRyO.
 Kane, Libby. “Here’s How Much Your Degree Will Help You Earn Over A Lifetime”. Oct. 27, 2014, https://www.businessinsider.com/how-college-impacts-earning-potential-2014-10.
 Bissell, Bryan. “How Gardening Solves Over a Dozen World Problems”. http://blog.truth-is-life.org/health/garden-genius/.
 Doiron, Roger. “My subversive garden plot”. September, 2011. https://www.ted.com/talks/roger_doiron_my_subversive_garden_plot.
 Hoag, Lynn. “Planting by the Blueprint”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu8KrP6U9fw
 Back to Eden (2011) is a Bible based film about how many people and churches are growing gardens easily with Bible principles and producing much better food. It answers most major questions about how to do gardening easily. www.filmsforaction.org/watch/back-to-eden-2011/, How to Make $100,000 Farming 1/2 Acre You Don’t Own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5bOr0aC58
 Koman, Tess. “The 30 Colleges With The Best Campus Food You’ve Ever Seen.” Jul. 20, 2018. https://www.delish.com/food/g22467505/best-college-dining-halls/?slide=4
 “U.S. Lawn Care Industry Statistics”. April 4, 2016, https://www.lawnstarter.com/lawn-care/lawn-care-industry-statistics; Egan, John. “How Much Time Do Americans Spend on Yardwork? [Infographic]” March 1, 2016, https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/lawn-care-2/time-spent-on-yardwork-infographic/.
 “The Hidden Radicalism of Southern Food”, John T. Edgemay, The New York Times, May 6, 2017, https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/06/opinion/sunday/the-hidden-radicalism-of-southern-food.html
 “Do Cities Need More Green Roofs?” NPR. July 12, 2017, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJoBhLnqko. See also: https://www.greenroofs.com/projects/jacob-k-javits-convention-center/ Jul 12, 2017,* https://javitscenter.com/media/113824/7674_javits_sustainability_report_060617.pdf *
 Taylor, Mia. “What a Green Roof Costs You on the Way to Saving Everything.” May 22, 2015,
 Chenoweth, Erica. “The success of nonviolent civil resistance”. TEDxBoulder. Nov 4, 2013, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSehRlU34w.
 “7 million premature deaths annually linked to air pollution”. www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/air-pollution/en/ March 25, 2014.
 Cowspiracy–the Sustainability Secret–The Facts, www.cowspiracy.com/infographic; Leonard, Abigail W. “Studies Highlight Top Sources of Pollution.” November 5, 2006, https://www.livescience.com/4297-studies-highlight-top-sources-pollution.html. Lerner, Sharon. “The Teflon Toxin”. September 15, 2016, https://theintercept.com/2016/09/15/the-teflon-toxin-goes-to-china/. Webb, Whitney. “U.S. Military Is World’s Biggest Polluter” EcoWatch. May. 15, 2017, https://www.ecowatch.com/military-largest-polluter-2408760609.html.
 Meattle, Kamal. How to grow fresh air. February, 2009,
 Bissell, Bryan. “Why is the Sabbath So Important Anyway?” http://blog.truth-is-life.org/doctrine/sda/sabbath/.